Stealing a few minutes to blog - will not have time for the copious screed to which I naturally gravitate! Numbered points:
1. That was one of the most enjoyable runs I have ever had in my entire life. It was stressful finding time to fit it in, and I am overcome with stress now that I am home again, but the run itself was like a lovely Antarctic vacation from the life of Frazzle City. I enjoyed every single minute of it.
2. No socks are really and truly waterproof enough to stand up to today's conditions! Also, it is a mistake to wear the Injinji toe socks inside the waterproof ones - once everything was really squelchy and drenched with water, there was an unpleasant toe strangulation effect in several places...
3. Conditions pretty bad underfoot, very slow running - not for the most part slippery, but there was an inch of slush almost everywhere, with some variation as to depth and wateriness or solidity.
4. I was a bit late heading out the door, and then ran incredibly slowly (due to aforementioned conditions plus fact that I do not think I am running very quickly right now anyway), so I had to cut it short and only did 14 instead of 16. Given the magically good race-specific training conditions, though, I think that the quality of the run more than made up for the missing miles - also, because I was going glacially (HAhahahaha....) slowly, the total time for the run was an implausibly slow 2:45, so it was very good in terms of time on feet. I will just have to revamp the training schedule and see what I can fit in, there is no point beating myself up about it.
5. Anyway it really was one of those days where I was just saying to myself JOYFUL JOYFUL JOYFUL as I shuffled along, even the undelightful toe situation and the fact that I was soaked to the skin after 1 mile of freezing rain could not impede my enjoyment of this run, it was UTTER BLISS!