Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tuesday run and swim

OK, that was good. This cold is irksome but if I keep on doing moderate workouts I will not lose fitness, and surely it will go away soon. Wrote some honest-to-god novel pages today, too, so that is good too....

Treadmill workout:

I am determined to make more intelligent use of the local resources. I decided to do an interval workout on the treadmill instead of slogging away at slow hot miles. Swim notation makes more sense for this than the usual way of describing run stuff!

(Conversion chart for mph/minutes per mile!)

Warmed up for 1 mile at 5.5mph

2 x (1:00 run, :30 rest) at 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, 8.5
2 x (:30 run, 1:00 rest) at 9.0, 9.5

1 x :30 run at 10.0, just to see what it feels like to run at a 6:00 pace! Answer: fun, but the leg turnover is a slight challenge, I didn't do a second one because I sort of felt like I might shoot off the back of the treadmill at any moment!

Ran a bit more to cool down - I will log it as 3 miles, though that is overly generous. Then cooled down with a bit of a swim; will count as though each length is 25, then add on a third to account for the dog-leg effect (probably also overly generous, but better for counting morale).

100 free, 100 breast, 100 free, 100 breast, 50 fly drill-swim

Call it 600 yards total

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Best not to shoot off the back of the dreadmill!

Glad you got a good one in, cold notwithstanding.