Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Run/yoga!

OK, that worked pretty well, despite a few minor glitches. I was about twenty minutes later than I'd intended getting out the door (injudicious alarm-snoozing!), so I only did 5 miles rather than 6 (I'd left plenty of buffer time, so I didn't have to curtail things any more than that). Then the staircase I hoped to use to get from the greenway back up to Broadway was locked, so I had to double back and take a different (vertiginous) staircase at 135th St. Anyway, not a big deal, and the basic concept is good.

(Note to self: bring one more dry long-sleeved layer for traveling home after class; also, water bottle left at the studio, retrieve it tomorrow if possible!)

I have noticed a trend - it's partly a function of decent fitness and cool weather/flat course - to laze around at the top of zone 1 rather than pushing the 2-4 beats higher into zone 2 while running. Obviously it's all along a continuum, and I think that's still a reasonable training pace, but I thought I'd better start doing more intervals to desensitize to higher heartrates. It is a mental rather than a physical limitation, as I note that I am very well capable of running comfortably in zone 2 if I am running with someone else or, as today, worried about whether I'm going to make it to class in time!

:50 run (c. 5 miles), with 5 x 4min Z3, 1min recovery
1.5hr hot yoga

No comments: