Saturday, September 6, 2008

It was a dark and stormy night...

... and I was strongly hoping that everybody else would think it was a good night for staying at home, and that I would be able to swim in Gothic solitary splendor! Alas, it was not to be...

But I did have a very nice swim - really it was the best thing I did all day. Just the feeling of cool water on skin seems to me the most immensely pleasurable sensation - I need to run for about half an hour, especially at lower intensities, before I really feel fully warmed up and start getting the physiological benefit of enjoyable running chemicals, but it is almost invariable that after swimming a single length of the pool I feel much, much calmer...

I had an insufficiency of swimming in August, through lack of opportunity rather than desire, and September isn't shaping up to be great either - but I am swimming in a two-mile race in early October, so it seems clear that getting in half an hour of swimming at least three times a week is pretty much the bare minimum to make sure I will enjoy that swim! I expect to swim very slowly, I have no time expectations, but I would like to do everything I can to make sure that I really enjoy myself...

1000 yards easy freestyle (concentrating on catch, rotation and body position), 100 IM drill, 100 freestyle drill

1200 yards total

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gothic solitary splendour sounds so sensational! But I'm glad you had a nice swim even if the pool was fuller than you would have liked!

And yes -- enjoyment is key!!