Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wednesday run

7 miles with training partner C.

Golly, that was a good run! Fairly horrible, actually - it is still in the high 70s, and was definitely eightyish when we set out - but that is what I call a good solid hard effort. Footpod measures it at 6.5, but really it is closer to seven, we went down to 50th St. along the Hudson - that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

(It was something of a relief when C. peeled off at 85th St. to head home, so that I could just run at regular pace the rest of the way - it is too hot to be running that hard!)

I have been discouraged at how slowly I've been running - today's in fact was not very fast, just faster than I would do on my own on a hot day. But I am hoping that once the weather cools down I'll see some benefits and be able to do more consistent tempo work.

I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to race the Queens half next weekend or just do it as a training run. It partly depends on the weather - if it's in the 70s, I will probably just take it slow. The Staten Island race in October might be a better one for really pushing myself and trying to figure out marathon pace, since it's about six weeks out from the big race - I am still hoping that I'll pick up some speed over the next bit of cooler-weather training.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad it was a good run!

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, weather can really slow me down too. And a hot race is not very much fun unless it's fairly short. 70 sounds cool to me, though :-)