Friday, June 5, 2015

Glorious irresponsible day of working out!

Ah, there is a pile of work I should be doing and that I am in fact looking FORWARD to doing, but I can't get it into it properly until I clear more life tasks (and those of course keep piling up as fast as I can cross the other ones off the list, arghhhh), so I just took the day off for MEGA-WORKOUT! It was delightful - I am a bit hungry and sleepy now, but in a very good mood (and will have dinner out with my brother and our adopted grandfather, so that's nice too).

First, a super session with Josh (bench, back). Woo-hoo! Got a solid honest 120, and we also tried something fun and new that has about the best name EVER: FUTURISTIC LIFTING! This involves taking weight you WANT to lift in the future and using a resistance band (around the middle of the bar and tethered at the top of the frame) to give you a bit of help - we are trying various stuff to get me used to the feel of the heavier weights and the "grind" of how you have to get 'em up. The band helps you initiate the upward movement off the chest - we did 135 and it worked pretty well.

(Goals by end of calendar year: 300+ deadlift, 140 bench, squats with perfect technique.)

Then L. and I did some running in the sand - my calf was pronging me after a couple, I am sorry to say, it's definitely not quite right - 10min total (shorter than what usually counts for streak, but 'cause it's sand I think it's allowed....) with warmup, 6 x :30 hard, :30 recovery, cooldown.

Then I ate two hard-boiled eggs and a bagel and went to SPIN CLASS (1hr easy - because of calf, kept gears fairly low and didn't do any standing work - Friel zone 2, basically) and then had a short SWIM. Gosh, I love being in the water! Looking forward to swimming a lot this summer - have taken the plunge, as it were, and decided to sign up for the masters swim program at Chelsea Piers as I do not seem to have found a TNYA workout that works for me since they canceled Columbia and City College (my two most convenient locations). That was 600 as 100 free, 4 x 100 as drill-swim by 25 (front scull, fists, finger-drag, catch-up), 100 IM easy (fly as 3-3-3 drill). Fun!

Summary: 1hr upper body; :10 sand run intervals; 1hr zone 2 spin; 600 yards swim.

No comments: