Thursday, June 4, 2015

Squats/undue self-criticism!

I am aware as an educator that this is absolutely idiotic - we all make progress unevenly in different arenas, and I should really just feel lucky that the deadlift and bench are coming along so easily and well rather than having excessive self-reproach that the squat is in comparison very poor! I WILL JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT. I was walking back to the locker room and thinking MY BIRTHDAY WISH (that's July 21) IS THAT MY SQUATS SHOULD COME UP TO THE LEVEL OF MY OTHER LIFTS....

Anyway, we fortunately followed the OK but rather demoralizing squats part of the workout with some deadlifts, where I do much much better and feel more cheery again.

In theory it was 5 x 5 x 100, but my form really starts to break down towards the second half of each set, so I instead did 1 x 5 x 95, 2 x 5 x 100 and 1 x 3 x 100.

(The preposterous fact is that I did better with slightly heavier weights than this 5 x 5 on Tuesday with my bench - weights ran from 95 to 105, and I easily could have done them all at the heaviest weight! It's not that I can't squat heavier, I've done 135 easily and I would guess that I could probably do 170 or 175 without busting anything, but my form breaks down so quickly, it just doesn't make sense to do heavier work sets. Anyway I think what I really should be grateful for is that I have a very smart patient coach who won't let me overreach myself!)

Then a lovely 3 x 10 x 165 deadlift - I was getting tired, but it's still very enjoyable!

1.25hr strength WITH A SIDE HELPING OF FRUSTRATION

No comments: