Monday, September 24, 2007

Quiet swimming

So it seemed to me that though I was certainly not well enough for an intense swim workout, I was OK to go and have a calm swim, and so I e-mailed my apologies to the Monday-night coach and wandered over to the gym around 8:30. Found a good spot and had a nice quiet easy mile-long swim, causing me to reflect on the fact that such a thing would have been hard to imagine even in May. I guess it took around 33 minutes? I promptly forgot the start time, and may have done a couple extra laps to be on the safe side. Lungs still gummy, stomach a bit off: oh, I hope I feel better tomorrow, but I will certainly skip the hard swim workout tomorrow morning also, not up to it yet. I must try and get some sleep.

(I thought I would do a couple 100s of breaststroke after that, but when I went to the slow lane with a kickboard and started to do a length of breast kick with the board, my leg muscles pretty rapidly told me that this morning's gym workout was harder than I thought! I did a length of actual breaststroke to see if it was better than kick alone, but decided I should call it a night...)

And I was still feeling rather upset about missing the real swim workout, which is a hard-core hour and a half of strenuous stuff, technique- and conditioning-focused--but then I got home and found an e-mail from the coach saying that when they all got to John Jay this evening, they found a sign saying the pool was closed for maintenance, with clear signs of chemical imbalance! So if I had tried to go to the regular Monday-night session, by the time I got back uptown I would almost certainly have been too tired and harried to swim at all--a piece of good fortune that has contributed to greater calmness than I expected....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oddly, the pool where my club trains has just closed up for a few days with maintenance issues.

Sometimes it works in our favour ...