Monday, July 28, 2014

Spin/swim

Alas, I completely flaked out on Lauren - I had so much anxiety this morning about riding that I bailed. It was the right choice, I am pretty sure, and really it was a failure of advance planning - I ignored all the lessons of prior years that in order to desensitize to bicycle-related anxiety I have to ride very regularly and in low-stress circumstances. What worked really well for me last summer was basically just having one weekday every week that WAS long ride day, with the ride being the only priority - taking bike on bus out to Lamont Observatory and doing all my riding out there. I had too much other stuff to do today, even aside from the question of desensitization....

Anyway, went to spin class (was still feeling physically rather out of sorts and a bit queasy, it was not an enjoyable workout!), had a very short swim that settled my stomach (decided not to do anything hard-effort since it was a relief to feel more normal again), picked up bike at store and came home on the subway. It turned out I did not need a new tire after all, which is good - the chunk of stuff I thought was a gouged-out piece of rubber was probably just asphalt or similar - in fact, since the annual tune-up is free, I walked out of the store without having to pay a single penny - truly anomalous!


:45 spin
:15 swim (500 yards as 100 free, 100 kick, 3 x 100 drill-swim by 25 [front scull, fists, finger-drag])

No comments: