Friday, October 3, 2008

End-of-week roundup

I have been prevented from posting by rain-related internet outages rather than by some more sinister reason - if I go silent again, it's almost certainly due to another outage! Hmmmm, I always think it is good for the character to have some brief spells of internet-free existence, it is an awful time-waster, but I was mighty glad when it came on again this afternoon about half an hour ago...

Yesterday: good master's swim, just an easy workout because many of those in attendance are planning on doing the sea swim tomorrow! I had a great swim, I must say - halfway through, I realized I probably should have been in a faster lane, but by leading a slightly slower one I was really able to focus on form and felt very strong in the water. September was a good month of swimming, and I feel like I'm starting to see some real benefits on both swimming and running compared to an August of heat and pool closures!

c. 250 warmup; 2 x 200 alternating 25 easy and 25 fast, 4 x 100 drill choice (we did right arm, left arm, full catch-up, finger-drag), 4 x 100 breathing every 5, 100 cooldown (50 free, 50 back)

1550 yards total

Today:

6 treadmill miles (easy zone 2)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

There is a lot to be said for leading a slower lane (says someone who is also doing it, but swimming faster than the slowest people in the lane next).

The person going first is leading in more than going first -- making sure the repeat times are honoured, counting, and encouraging the others. Also by pulling the train you are usually doing more work than being part of the train. That you were concentrating on form and feeling strong means you may have been in the right place after all.

ShirleyPerly said...

Leading a train -- good for you!

I've yet to do that. Actually, any swimming would be nice. I have NO open pools around me this week and am going through some swimming withdrawals. I think I would rather have no Internet than no pool!

Unknown said...

P.S. Have a great sea swim tomorrow!!

Unknown said...

P.P.S. Shirley!!! That is wonderful!!!