Monday, October 6, 2008

Monday swim

Just a short one - I fell deeply and inconveniently asleep for 90 minutes in the early evening, woke up ravenously hungry but also desperately in need of a swim and with many an hour of work still to do this evening! I have swum, I have grocery shopped, I am blogging, I will shortly put away groceries & feed myself & buckle down for some hours of reading. It is not good sleep hygiene, but it is better than nothing...

1200 yards only - it was a bit crowded, not bad. Mostly freestyle, but in there I did 2 x 50 breast, 2 x 100 back, 100 fly drill - along those lines, anyway.

I feel I am on the verge of a mental breakthrough about the importance of a streamline kicking off the wall - often in a week after I didn't swim much I find myself more aware of something like this, but I think I am really ready to get this working properly. It is one of those things people have to explain to you many a time before you are really ready to internalize it! But one of the swimming-related books I read recently had a very vivid description of the cost of lazy pushing off the wall in the 1650 freestyle, and it somehow has stuck. I am doing a plank often enough when I work out with M., I should not be confused about this...

1 comment:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

What? I'm supposed to kick after I push off the wall? Gees, no wonder I suck - pure laziness!