Sunday, August 16, 2009

TOB/run

Similar to yesterday, only different also!

10am rolled by and every bike in the classroom had someone on it, except for the instructor's...

(The regular Sunday spin teacher was still off-island on vacation - the back-up teacher had been spotted by one of the latecomers out walking her dog, and when asked whether she was teaching today, she had gasped and said, "Oh, yeah, I guess I am!")

We started about 10 minutes late, not a big deal - it was a good class. (I am going to count these classes as a 15-mile ride.)

I had planned a slightly more ambitious strides treadmill run, but it was clear to me as I was getting started that I had already used up my fuel from breakfast and that I should probably scale it back a little. So I just did 10 mins. warmup, 8 x 1:00 at 7:30 pace (8mph), 1:00 recovery.

The last interval I did at 6:40 pace (9mph) for fun - I just about made it through the minute, except that right at the end I knocked out the safety plug with a flailing arm and the treadmill came to a halt! I like the feeling of running quite fast for a short time - I want to do the 8 x 2:00 @ 7:30, 1:00 recovery workout that Lauren had the other day (it then builds to 4 x 5:00 @ 7:30, 3:00 recovery), but I am thinking I need to do one or two more shorter strides first to build comfort with higher leg turnover rate!

I do have a very pleasant feeling that I have built quite a bit of fitness over the last couple months and that with luck and common sense I will have a very enjoyable fall season of training and racing.

15 miles bike
3 miles run

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very good! I think it will indeed be a good fall.

ShirleyPerly said...

OMG, I'm glad you were not injured when the treadmill stopped suddenly!

Good to hear you are feeling good about your fitness base.

Unknown said...

Oh I hate it when I knock out that stupid safety thing! No one ever uses it, I don't know why they even have it! I am sure more accidents are caused by hitting it with an arm and them running full throttle into the console!