Tuesday, January 11, 2011

TNYA workout!

I was feeling very chilly and sleepy just beforehand, and also aware of how horrible it would be to swim a real workout after how little I've swum in the last six months - but the atmosphere at the One-Hour Swim the other day was so morale-boosting, and it was so good to see teammate Kent, that I concentrated on how much I like swimming with him and how annoyed I would be with myself if I copped out of the very first workout I had planned to attend! And I was very glad I went - it wasn't at all bad, I was slow but my aerobic fitness is certainly up to swimming a reasonably hard workout, and we had a nice mix in the lane.

Now let us just see if I can remember what we did, I am out of the habit...

Warmup (slightly curtailed): 200 free, 200 IM easy (fly drill)

8 x 50 as free down, stroke back on 1:05 (I had to take an extra few seconds' breather after the second fly one, though!), 2 of each stroke in IM order

Main set:

200 free on 4:10

4 x 25 stroke IM order on :45

2 x 200 free on 4:10

4 x 25 stroke IM order on :45

3 x 200 free on 4:10

(I had to skip a couple of 50s in that last set, the fastest 2 swimmers were lapping me and then once you pause to let them pass it is fatal trying to catch back up! But after I skipped a 50 on #1 and #2 of that third set, I was fine to finish the last one on the interval - I think with a more evenly paced group I would probably have been just about OK for it, though certainly don't mind having slightly more rest...)

4 x 25 choice on :45 (I did fly, back, fly, back)

8 x 50 free as 25 free sprint on :20, 25 free easy on :40 - honestly for me this was more like 400 as hard-easy, I did not get much of a breather at all! I did the last two fly-breast as we had fallen off the interval and were just finishing up a last little bit of leftover time.

I think this is about right, anyway - let us call it 2550, that is a highly respectable start to what I hope will be a great year of swimming!

No comments: