Thursday, June 25, 2015

Workout fail!

Hahahaha, it was entirely my own fault! Ran off to a meeting post-run without having a moment to eat OR drink lots of water. Ate properly around 12:30 (cheese and tomato on whole wheat, Greek yogurt with berries and granola - should have been more than sufficient, about 800 calories total) but found myself late afternoon as I wandered to Chelsea Piers from the subway feeling quite odd, despite having had a bottle of water on the train. Drank some herbal tea and realized hands were slightly shaking/sweat POURING off my head although I did not feel subjectively hot (if anything, the contrary). Realized it was most probably a low-blood-sugar situation (eat something immediately post-workout, readers! fasting 1:20 run plus almost 2-hour delay before eating = minor disaster latr on!), ate an emergency fake-Larabar, but it was pretty clear when I started warming up for my squats workout that there was absolutely nothing left in the tank. Not muscular fatigue as such, though some of that too - just residual emotional fatigue from a challenging week and TOTAL fueling fail!

Anyway I did some lightweight sets (at least I am hitting depth!), called it when my IT band sproingled on a front squat (it had already cramped up while I was doing the abs portion of the warmup exercises), we switched to less onerous stuff - did some goblet squats and then some walking lunges with lightish weights. Did get in a full hour, anyway, but it was a lesson to me (a) to respect emotional stress (b) to fuel properly and (c) not to try and do a long run earlier on in a day when I want to do a decent job with squats!

1hr lower body, compromised though not wrecked by fatigue and underfueling!

No comments: