Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Bench - and a new bike!

I took the plunge. (And actually, strange to say, as well as it being the sedate calm upright bike I should have had to begin with, it is also a particular favorite color of mine, and has reminded me that it was one of my deepest childhood desires to have a BLUE bicycle like my friend Stephanie across the street - mine was a rust-red Schwinn "dirt bike" handed down from some other kid in the neighborhood!)

Rode it home from the gym just now - it is helped by the fact that it is a most gorgeous evening, low humidity and breezy, but the ride was relaxing in a way that I am totally unaccustomed to. It remains to be seen whether I will really make this a habit, but it will potentially save me money and time in terms of not needing the subway so much - going to give it a good go (and figuring that it can only help my bicycle phobia too to be on a very sedate bicycle regularly).

Good upper-body workout with Josh. Benched 4 x 3 at 105, then lifted to failure - Josh suggested goal of 6-10, but I hit thirteen very manageably and I think I probably could have eked out fifteen if I'd had it in mind to begin with. He is sure this means I can get 135, though I still worry a bit that the male-female ratios of multiples to one-rep max play out differently (however I will soon be able to get it if even if I'm not quite there yet). Then some "pin press" - put the pins slightly above chest level, let the bar come to a full stop and lift as deadweight. This is all good. Finally some single-arm rows, 4 x 10 @ 47.5.

1hr upper body
5mi bike

No comments: