Friday, July 10, 2009

Friday swim/TOB

Ugh, still sick, it is making me crazy! Just had some easy exercise - a warmup swim and a ride along the greenway path, which is flatter than Central Park though with some wind that makes for a pleasant harder stretch downtown.

It was a Jim Bolster warmup, left over from the early morning triathlete swim group!

200 free, 50 double-arm back, 200 free, 50 kick-drill fly, 200 free, 50 drill-swim back, 200 free, 50 breast

I did flip turns on all the free, and though I feel very clumsy and as though technique could be much improved, I think if I keep on doing 'em I will get the hang of 'em soon enough - certainly seems more doable than the last time I made a serious stab at it last summer...

(I also note that without my having consciously worked on it, something has happened to make for a marked improvement in the quality of floppy-elbowness that is targeted by finger-drag drill for freestyle. I have always had very rigid stiff arms in the recovery part of the freestyle stroke, though I rationally understand why easy floppiness is better; for some reason today I could really feel it being properly floppy, in a good way. Will do some more drill next week to try and retain and improve that feel.)

1000 yards swim
15 miles bike

My train to Philadelphia tomorrow morning (sister-in-law's baby shower, at the lovely Spring Mill Cafe in Conshohocken) leaves at 9:09 from Penn Station, which means leaving here by ten past eight; if I want to run first, I will need to be out the door by 6:30. I have as usual squandered my jet lag, but I may have held onto enough of it that this would be doable. I'll be home by 1:30 or so on Sunday afternoon, so there will be time for a bike ride and/or a run depending on how I'm feeling - I'm thinking that if I can stand it, I should do the serious bike ride up over the bridge and into the Palisades...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

TOB!! Flip turns! Very good.

Enjoy the shower!

Spokane Al said...

I was just watching the PBS Newshour with Jim Lehrer.

The weekly pundit opinion was on and they were discussing the recent meetings between Obama and other world leaders concerning global warming.

One of the pundits gave a lukewarm response to the success of the meeting by discribing the conclusion reached as an aspirational agreement.

I must admit that this was the first time, other than your blog, that I have heard its use.

intentsandpurposes said...

Sorry you had to hustle to come to visit. I appreciate all your efforts and adore your company;)

sincere gratitude,
Jessi