Friday, April 29, 2011

Long run

That was great. The weather's beautiful (high sixties, sunny and clear), I have been gradually snipping out threads of the strangulatingly tight collar of obligations that necklaces me at this time of year, I wasn't unduly pressed for time even though I could not for the life of me get up when the alarm first went off!

Went down the west side path almost to Chambers St. The Hudson River park is very nice at this time of year - overblown but still gorgeous tulips just north of Chelsea Piers, a beautiful Dalmatian playing lord of all he surveyed atop a picnic table. Some humorists in a pickup truck on the highway cheered me on!

It certainly feels like a shuffle rather than a proper run, but it is amazing how training actually works - I definitely couldn't have done that six weeks ago, even if it does seem very slow still (and legs start getting sore around 1:45, which I take as the cost of having missed last week's long run). Stopped the clock at 1hr and 2hr to take a gel; had a mouthful of gatorade in the morning before I left, but otherwise empty stomach. Felt fine!

2:35, 13.39mi., avg pace 11:35, avg HR 141 (:20 zone 1, 2:08 zone 2 - hmmm, that doesn't add up!).

4 comments:

Ironmom (Julie) said...

That's a long one. Good job!

Jenny Davidson said...

Thanks!

Black Knight said...

You have supporters everywhere!
Good job on the long run.

Becca said...

I have been thinking about you saying that training works as I lurch around Arlington, feeling it quite impossible that I should even run at 10k again, let alone another marathon. (word verification: hydra)