Friday, April 15, 2011

Longish bike

That was good. Yesterday turned into a marathon work day, there was no hope of fitting in any exercise, I only got home from a dinner and talk in the evening around 9:30, still had a couple more bits and pieces I had to clear before I could start winding down. Inevitably this is the sort of night where I have terrible insomnia - first lay down around 11:30, but didn't actually get to sleep till 2:30 or so. In the meantime I changed the alarm setting from 6:30 to 7:30, but really I was horribly awake at 6:30 anyway (and can tell, from how sore my jaws and teeth are this morning, that I must have been insanely clenching my jaw shut all night!).

I have been playing fast and loose with the recovery week schedule, alas. I rode for just under 2 hours in Central Park, which is acceptable (no time for a run off the bike - I'll run longish in South Carolina tomorrow morning, and bring a second set of running clothes in case I also feel the urge for a short run on Sunday morning). It is a beautiful morning - for a run! No, seriously, it was pretty nice for a bike ride too, only a little chilly still (but definitely spring rather than winter - 48F is what it says right now on the NYT website); I was envious of the runners....

I AM A SLOW CYCLIST. But getting out there is the only way to get faster.

(I still hate riding on the street between here and the park. Coming back it was especially bad, there was a comically horrible line-up of all my least favorite vehicles, it is like an obstacle course out there: bus, trash truck, pothole, bus, delivery truck, pothole....)

1:55, 25.26mi., avg. speed 13.8mph, avg HR 128, max HR 153 (zone 1: 1:03:59; zone 2: 38:53; zone 3: 8:03; zone 4: 1:20)

3 comments:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Do you think you'll be safe for the cutoffs? Of course, you will ride faster on a closed race course!

Anonymous said...

Make sure you are doing some hill training. I rented a bike when I was in NYC last and rode around Central Park. If that is all you are doing for on-the-road training, you are going to be in for a surprise.

Get those hills in! You can thank me later!

Jenny Davidson said...

Ugh, yes, I know - I need to get out to NJ...