Sunday, November 11, 2007

Indoor mishaps

A largely uneventful hour-long ride on the bike trainer just now. It was curiously enjoyable, good chance to listen to a bit of music (I have had Camper van Beethoven on the brain this week for some reason). Felt a lot smoother by the end of it, really I just have to do it very regularly and it will become comfortable.

The mishap: hmmm, not good--around the 45-minute mark, I suddenly realized that the whole bike was toppling over sideways... I re-balanced myself on the bookshelf which is mercifully rather sturdy and bottom-heavy and did not likewise topple. Mildly shaken, I got off and examined the situation--I realize I never fully sort of clamped down the lever thing on the trainer...

It is not so much that I am inherently unmechanical--I have good mechanical genes at any rate--as that I do not pay attention to things and also I overthink! In this case I remember having a lot of musings along the "How do I know whether I have to push really hard or whether pushing really hard will break it?!?" lines. But now I have pushed it in really hard, and it did not break... Making a mental note, though, to check setup properly before getting on next time... (However on a more positive note, I clearly did a reasonable job assembling that bookshelf...)

3 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

OK, no harm done.

Maybe someday DVDs while on the trainer....

Bigun said...

Camper van Beethoven - wow - takes me back to the late '80s when stationed in Germany - my roomates' mom would send us MTV videos, and "Good guys and bad guys" was one from the "alternative" vids she would send us - still remember it fondly as a great music vid.

Unknown said...

But now the lever thing is definitely clamped, you're really good to go!

(Good job on the bookcase!)