Saturday, November 24, 2007

Swimming lesson

Goodness, I have just had the most lovely swimming lesson: in fact it has been an extraordinarily decadent-feeling day, I have pretty much done nothing but exercise (with brief intervals of caffeination, refueling and internet time-wasting in between). Swimming lessons are particularly decadent because they are so expensive, it is an extraordinary luxury (in general I spend fairly unbelievable amounts of money these days on fitness-related things, my frugal soul is moderately outraged at my own extravagance, but the swimming lessons really are over the top--it is probably just as well that they will soon come to an end).

(I must get at least four hours of work in this evening, or else I am not in a good situation...)

We worked on lots of miscellaneous stuff: I did remember to ask about how to do that butterfly-kick-on-back-with-double-arm-back thing (we worked on it for a while, it's tough!). Almost all fly and breast, with some interesting drills--I think both the breast and the fly really are improving. An interesting breast drill that involves holding your left leg in your right hand behind your back (or the other way round) and just swimming with the other two limbs--after a couple lengths on each side of this, you go back to the full stroke and it works like magic....

And lots of good fly stuff, I had a couple lengths where it was absolutely magically amazing! I was really working on the short exit and letting the arms fly forward, and suddenly the stroke seemed to require virtually no effort (it is true that I was wearing big fins) and I was just flying down the pool, I loved it--these glimpses are a lovely thing, it does not need to be like that all the time but it gives you something to aim for...

2 comments:

Bigun said...

I'd have to make sure the pool was empty of any cameras or small children before I attempted the "dying duck" drill - not that I can even grab my ankle with the opposite hand behind my back...that drill is just E.V.I.L!

Unknown said...

I like dolphin kick with double arm back -- but my favorite with double arm back is whip kick!

Bigun's right -- that drill is not for the inflexible (or the sinkers). As a floater it's easier for me, but not one I do. Ever. ;-)