Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tuesday swim

Funny how much better things look after (almost) six hours sleep and a morning swim. Yesterday I was in the depths of exhaustion--I had quite a lot of coffee, I had quite a lot of tea, I was even desperate enough to take a nap, but I could not shake the line of thought that goes something like this: Hmmm--maybe eyedrops would be worth trying as a remedy for this awful granulated eyeball tiredness situation--but really given the way I feel like my whole face is sunken in from tiredness we are talking more like eight-week medically induced coma plus facelift... Now I feel quite cheerful again, this is good!

A respectable though not inspired swim this morning, I am not at all sure I can reproduce its details. Miscellaneous thoughts:

1. I didn't do flip turns during the warmup period, ARGHHH! Ritual self-reproach...

2. I notice not having had the Monday-night swim in terms of feel, it takes a little longer to get it--but surely this thing of swimming different strokes is already paying off. I feel I have noticeably more body rotation in my free stroke compared to a month ago, this really does come partly from doing backstroke; and the catch is also really better, partly from doing breast. I had a very good feeling of long strokes, lots of obliques involved & a really nice fast strong catch, I like it...

3. I must put my taper before my obsessive need to learn to swim better, no extra swims this week or it will have a negative impact on my time on Sunday. (Frustrating, though--maybe I can find somewhere to swim over Thanksgiving--but on the whole those days are a writeoff as far as swimming goes, which is a great pity--it will just have to be considered a recovery week...)

Warmup: 200 swim, 75 kick, 75 stroke.

(I did butterfly on every choice option, it takes me almost the whole workout to really get back in undulation mode!)

Then something kind of along these lines:

3 x 150 (75 back, 75 free) on an interval I can't remember
4 x 100 (interval supposed to be 1:50, but I can only do those for a couple, maybe I'm swimming them in 1:46, then I have to fall back on 2:00 interval--this is a good goal for the winter, though, I'm close enough that I can see I should be able to do 100s properly on 1:50 by the early spring, get it down to 1:42 as something I can hold & I'll be good to go...)
2 x 200 on 3:40 (again, it takes me 3:40 to swim it, so really we had more like on 4:00)
2 x 100 (50 drill, 50 stroke)
2 x 150 (75 breast, 75 free)

And then we ran out of time--team practice starts at 7 sharp. I did a couple more lengths of butterfly, and then we stopped...

A comical twist: H. and I got moved over to lane 2 (i.e. lane 7 was in lane 2) because there was a film crew shooting some footage--and they needed to have the good fast swimmers in the lane we usually swim in! I was a little confused about the details, but I think one of the swimmers (or coaches? not sure) is co-owner of a bakery & is going to be featured on Throwdown! with Bobby Flay...

[Ed. update: I think this is the bakery...]

1 comment:

Anita Boser said...

Hi Jenny, Have you ever tried the breastroke out of the water? It really can help you get the undulation movement. When you first wake up, try to do the breaststroke (without your arms) while you're still in bed. Go gently and you'll build the flexiblity and strength needed in your spine. If you're interested in an undulation exercise, email and I'll send it to you. www.undulationexercise.com
--Anita