Sunday, January 3, 2016

Longish ride!

Hahahaha, when I haven't done a real outdoor ride for a while (or even when I have) I am consumed with dread leading up to it - I was sleeping very lightly and fitfully, I think I checked the time every ten minutes between three am and six! However as soon as I am actually riding it is not at all bad, and when I am done I am suffused with a sense of satisfaction and enjoyment. That said, I really should have ridden longer - but very tight right lower back and impendingly agonizing left toe pain conspired with my perennial "quit while I'm ahead" mentality re: cycling to call it at 2:30 rather than doing the full projected three hours. (I had reached my pickup point and couldn't quite bring myself to do one more out and back.)

Totals: 2:18:46, 36.62mi, 15.8mph avg. Translated, this means that my 56-mile ride for the aquabike in two weeks is going to be SOMEWHAT horrible - I concluded that I have to ride quite a bit harder so that I'm not on the machine for so long, as the limit has much more to do with mechanical tolerance for body position (feet especially!) than with fitness as such. Will cap at top of Friel zone 3 and expect to ride pretty much fully in that zone.

No comments: