Sunday, January 31, 2016

Swim!

I did make it downtown to swim, and it was good. Slightly complicated during first stretch by a new young swimmer - a former age-group swimmer who wouldn't not wear fins and who didn't have a good feel for how to swim in a lane with others - she was nice, I should add, but it made it much harder for me than it was last week to skip 50s and hop back in at the right moment. Finally there was a crash and a confrontation (I was at the other end of the pool) and I am sorry to say she got out and the three of us had the lane to ourselves for the rest of the workout! Lane dynamics are so complicated....

Anyway I don't think I'll even really log it as I missed so many 50s. Coach said the total workout was 3500 and I will conservatively guess I swam 2800? Certainly that, possibly a bit more. It's not my favorite kind of workout - after some stroke count work (at which I am horrible), the two main sets were structured along these lines (1) 2 x 50 kick, 3 x 100 pull, 2 x 50 kick, 2 x 100 pull, 2 x 50 kick, 100 pull with specific instructions about breathing 3-5-3-7 etc. Then (2) 2 x 50 kick, 200 free (build by 50), 2 x 50 kick, 300 free, 2 x 50 kick, 400 free. Something like that anyway - it's a bit of a blur....

(One very nice bit at the end where I was allowed to put on fins myself - 8 x 25 as fly down free back on :40!)

I think I am going to have a bit of one-on-one coaching for stroke work. Really if I swim regularly three times a week I will get faster! Coach says the Saturday 9am slow lane is quite a bit slower, that's what I heard already from my friend Ellen, but I couldn't get up for it yesterday and don't imagine I will this coming Saturday either as I'm out late Friday and my mother's staying over. Maybe the following week....

1.5hr swim/c. 2800 yards

No comments: